I’ve known my best friend Amber since September 2007 when we both started at the same high school, I can’t even remember how we became friends but I’m so glad that we did. She’s the only person I can text 50 times in a row without feeling any shame, the only person I can tell every detail of my life to without worrying about being judged, and most importantly, the only person I can spend an indefinite amount of time with and not get bored.
In September 2015 she moved to London to go to university, naturally I was disappointed that she’d be so far away, but I was pleased that she was going to uni and doing what she wanted to do. Now we both knew that being best friends that lived over 100 miles apart would come with its challenges but our friendship is probably stronger now than it ever has been.
So here are 5 ways to keep a long distance friendship alive:
- Keep in touch – you may both have busy lives due to work or uni, but always make sure to make a little time for each other, even if it’s just half an hour a week for a catch up over the phone.
- When you get the chance to meet up, plan fun things to do together – for example, the last time I went to see Amber in London we booked tickets for the ArcelorMittal Orbit slide in the Olympic Park. (Which by the way is super fun and if you’re in the Stratford area of London you should totally go!)
- Reminisce about old times – Amber and I are always talking about high school, many of our memories were created there and it’s important not to forget them.
- Find a TV show to obsess over together – our show of choice is Pretty Little Liars, and when it comes back in April we’ll resume our Wednesday night tradition of a phone call whilst we watch it on Netflix at the same time.
- Finally, don’t forget that sometimes life will get in the way – but it’s important not to take it out on the other person. You may not see or speak to each other as much as you’d like but remember that you’ve always got each others backs no matter how far apart you may be.
At the end of the day a strong friendship can survive anything , even if you go months without seeing each other, when you do see each other it’ll be like you were never apart, and that is true friendship.